Monday, May 18, 2015

Oh, the People You Will Meet ( Assignment #9, Category #3)

Posted by Unknown at 10:53 AM
     When we first arrived in Olomouc, we were told so many different things about the locals. Our very first lecturer told us that no one smiled, and everyone kept to themselves. I have to admit, this scared me. I love meeting new people, and I am probably smiling 90% of the time. I was so hesitant to be myself in order to seem like a local rather than a tourist. However, I am happy to inform you that our lecturer was, for the most part, wrong in his stereotype of the typical Czech. 
     People here are definitely more reserved than people back in Nebraska. You will not receive a lot of smiles on the streets or random hellos, but I can assure that the people are SO nice. Walk into a shop and you will be instantly greeted with "Dobry den" and again with "Na shledanou" when you leave. In my experience, shop owners will talk your ear off even if you explain multiple times that you do not understand. A few weeks into our stay, I met a lovely elderly woman on the tram. I gave up my seat on the tram and helped her sit down. During this time, she noticed that I was American, and she welcomed me to her home town. She told me about her younger days teaching English and about her children. She even mentioned the myth of the typical Czech and wanted to make sure that the city was welcoming us. It was one of the best conversations I have had in Olomouc. On the other hand, I have noticed that they are much more blunt. Ask anyone how they are doing and you can expect nothing but the truth. No one sugar coats things, so be prepared for some truth.

     Now on to the local university students. During the day, they seem to be much more reserved and relaxed, but do not let this fool you-they know how to let loose. Once the evening time hits, the students become very talkative and extremely welcoming. Just this past Thursday we were invited to the History department’s annual BBQ where I met many different students. We sat around in a circle with a few drinks and a guitar. The students played different songs to which we sang along to. It was just like being home. I have made so many Czech friends here whom I will miss dearly. The number one thing to learn from this post is: do not let yourself be blinded by stereotypes. Get out there and start chatting!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Europe Awaits Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos